Orientation

Welcome to Kidlit Summer School Orientation!

Today we’re here to tell you what to expect so that you can feel comfortable and confident going forward. I like the way you’re sitting up straight and reading this with interest. Good job! You get a star!

smiling-gold-star-thumb

What is a school without books? Books like these from Scholastic are some of the ones that will be given away during summer school! Others books and prizes will be given away with individual posts.

For the most successful school experience, make sure you don’t cut class! Classes are offered Monday through Saturday right here on the blog through our fabulous faculty guest bloggers. All you have to do is virtually show up here, or subscribe to this blog in the right sidebar if you want to get daily emails. You want to learn how to compose a composite character and craft a unique voice, don’t you? These are two of the many great topics that will be covered over the next few weeks.

Sundays are a time to sit back and process what you’ve learned. We’ll have that covered here on the blog too!

There are other ways you can participate as well:

•  Join our Facebook Group! Follow this link to ask to be added if you haven’t already. https://www.facebook.com/groups/264884010371441/
  •  Participate in our Twitter #30mdares on Thursdays at 9:00 EST and Sundays at 3:00 EST.  Don’t know what a #30mdare is? Here’s more info: What will your character do for a #30mdare? During Nerdy Chicks Write Summer School, Rebecca Petruck will host seven 30-minute dares on Twitter, Thursdays at 9:00p ET and Sundays at 3p ET. Each dare will be a prompt to push your characters to try something new, cross boundaries, and surprise themselves. In only thirty minutes, you may discover new aspects of your characters and open up your stories in unexpected and awesome ways. Plus, everyone who completes five of the seven dares will be entered in a drawing for a first-three-pages critique from Rebecca! Publisher’s Weekly covered Rebecca’s first experience with the #30mdare. You can read about that HERE.
  • Attend the free webinars. Times and login information will be posted on the FB group and sent through email. We are still working on these.

Email confirmations for people who pre-registered or registered by Wednesday have already gone out. We are continuing to send out confirmations for people who registered Thursday or later. If you registered, but do not receive an email from us by Sunday, leave a comment and we’ll check on it. NOTE: If you have requested to join the FB group and have not been accepted in by tonight, it may be because your registration name is different from your FB name. Send us an email at nerdychickswrite(at)gmail(dot)com with the subject line FB group and include the email address you used to register for Summer School. We’ll get it all sorted out!

Now, what’s orientation without filling out a few forms? Luckily, you don’t have to worry about immunizations to attend this school. Here’s a form similar to one I found for a certain university. Your task is to fill it out as one of your characters. Click on the link to get your form:  Kidlit Summer School . Like all #KidlitSummerSchool activities, filling out the form is voluntary! It’s just to get you thinking about character.

k and sWe’re looking forward to a great few weeks! See you in class!

Kami and Sudipta

63 comments on “Orientation

1. Beth Bogert says:

My pencils are sharpened, hands folded and I have my listening ears on. soooo exciting. thank you! Beth

2. Juliana Lee says:

You know that mom who has a kid or two in every grade? She has to fill out forms for every one, usually in triplicate! So glad you’re only asking for one!

3. Hope I don’t end up wearing the dunce cap. 🙂 Thanks again for putting this all together, ladies!

4. Andrea Brame says:

A gold star?! I feel accomplished already. 🙂 *arranges pencil and notebook neatly on desk*

5. this is way easier than the form for community college – plus no tuition!

6. Thanks, teachers. I’m so happy to be in class! *hands you apples* This is so exciting. Going to fill out the form now.

Legal copy: Apples, though shiny, are not those such as found in Mean Queen environments and are meant solely for the purpose of garnering good grades. They are certified as juicy and tasty. Do not consume if you are allergic, have chewing difficulties, or are prone to choking. If you find these apples satisfactory and decide to consume additional apples, please consult your doctor before beginning any dietary regiment.

7. diandramae says:

I’m glad there’s two opportunities to try out the 30m challenges! I help moderate #kidlitart chat every Thursday at 9pmEST and I’d be bummed if I had to miss out on ALL the fun. 😉

8. *raises hand*
    Tracey M. Cox, present.
    *pulls out notebook, pencils, erasers, and glitter pen*

9. Brenda says:

*Timidly raises hand*
    *In a meek voice*
    Here
    *Looks in cubby for pencils and paper*

10. vonnac says:

I spent way too long drawing my character, but I wanna get an A!

11. oo excited! VERY eager and sitting here with perfect posture (just don’t ask anyone who can actually SEE me LOL) ready to start! Bounce bounce!

Also a quick question – I know webinars are still in the planning stages, but do you know if they will be accessible to folks who can’t be there in person? Just askin – cuz I’m gonna be out of town part of the time.

Thanks again. A BUNCH

12. So happy to be joining in the fun. Thank you for putting this together!

13. laurazarrin says:

So excited!!! I would much appreciate the #30mdare being a bit later. 9am EST is 6am on the west coast. Yikes!

14. Glad to say my character and I have no allergies but lots of phobias – looking forward to working on them. 🙂

15. Hi, Guys, Looking forward to participating. Can you check, please, I thought I preregistered but don’t recall getting an e-mail confirmation. Thanks!

16. Carrie Brown says:

I can’t sit still! I’m too excited! 🙂 Thanks for having us!

17. JEN Garrett says:

I’m already passing notes, whispering in Facebook and class hasn’t even started yet! I hope I don’t get kicked out before Monday.

18. Got here late today, and was thrilled with the first assignment. Also realized I couldn’t answer some of the questions. That’s what I love about these exercises – the surprise and discovery. Thank-you to all the great minds that put this together!

19. Trying to type everything in for the form, but nothing is happening. What am I doing wrong?

• The Nerdy Chicks says:

You should be able to see the words that you type as you type them. When you hit submit, they disappear. Is this what is happening? I just ran a test and it worked. You should receive the registration email by the end of the weekend, if not before!

20. Doris Stone says:

For the first time in my life, I’m looking forward to being in summer school.

21. kpbock says:

I’m all ready to learn and sooo excited!

22. Having problems typing in my orientation form. What am I doing wrong?

23. The Nerdy Chicks says:

Hey Sally,The orientation form is a PDF that you can print and fill out for a characterization exercise. You aren’t doing anything wrong! Those are designed for you to use to get to know your characters, but your answers don’t come to us. We will be putting more .pdf exercises up throughout the course. They will all be for you to save and print and use in whatever way helps you most!

24. gmom67 says:

Hi, Wow, I so hope my schedule is better next summer so I can do this! So jealous! Gail

Sent from my iPad

25. […] you haven’t read the Orientation material yet, please take a moment to do so. After that, here is some more information we thought […]

26. Dawn Young says:

I’m so excited for classes to start and thrilled that I get to sit up in the front without having to get to class too early to secure my seat! Yes, I’m one of those students 😉
    Thank you Sudipita and Kami. This is very generous of you!

27. I’ve got a star already? WOW! Thank you, teachers! I like this type of summer school. 🙂
    Form printed, notebook started – ideas formulating in my mind. And we begin…yay!

28. Vijaya says:

I can’t believe I’m late to orientation … let me blame … let’s see whose turn it is: not the dog, not the cat, ah! the naughty hamster. But I’m catching up!

I’ve figured it all out now. Email. I love email. Now I won’t miss a single post. Thank you ladies!

29. Yay! A gold star. 🙂

30. Beth Gallagher says:

I have all my supplies at the ready, new notebooks primed, and pencils sharpened. Can’t wait!

31. Sandee Abern says:

Sudipta,
    I cannot get the link to print…don’t want to be late on my first assignment. Any suggestions. I have tried and tried.
    Thanks,
    Sandee

• JEN Garrett says:

I have a few suggestions:
      1. Right click and “save target as” Then save it to your computer. Try opening it from there and you should be able to print (if your printer’s working.)
      2. Right click and “print” That might do the trick.
      3. Open the link and try right clicking and printing that way.
      4. Open the link and mouse over the bottom center. A print picture might show up.
      5. Is there a tool bar at the top with “Print” “Page” etc.? Try sending the page to yourself through email using these tools.
      6. Try a different browser. Sometimes Chrome works better than Internet Explorer and vis versa.
      7. If all else fails, hit the PrtScn button on your keyboard (probably at the top left) Then open in Paint or Word and paste the screen. It will take two print screens to get the whole form, but you should be able to print it up from your application.

Hope this helps!

• kamikinard says:

Hi Sandee, If you click on the link, you should see the document. Once it is open, take your mouse and hover in the right hand corner. A bar should pop up with printer and save icons. This should be the easiest thing to do. If it does not work, try some of Jen’s suggestions. Let us know if this doesn’t work!

32. SaDonna says:

Thanks for the info. I’m loving the Facebook group!

33. My form is printed and I am thinking about my Kidlit SS character. Oh my! What fun this will be! ~Suzy

34. So nice to go to school in my jammies! Thanks for all the time that went into organizing this!

35. Yikes! Skipped on Friday and now…um…I’m kinda late on the …um…assignment. *sigh* Some things never change…:-)

36. My post didn’t show up the past few days? Trying again.

Got my form printed and filled. Pencils are at the ready. So excited about this school year. :0)

37. calisue says:

So happy to be among friends!

38. Is it too late to join in the reindeer games?

39. Maria Marshall says:

Form printed, assignment done,gel pens gathered, notebook ready – *waves around the room* so happy to see so many familiar faces. Thanks teachers.