Our First Summer School Webinar!

badge50Exciting News!

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:00 PM EST, we will be hosting our first Summer School Webinar!

What is a webinar? If you’ve never tuned into one, it’s basically a web-broadcast seminar. Each of the webinars we host during Summer School will have a different topic, based on what we’re talking about on the blog and who our panelist might be (and we’re hoping to have some great guests for you!).

The topic for the first webinar is Your Burning Questions. It’s an opportunity to ask Kami and Sudipta questions that you might be struggling with as you begin your Summer School journey.

Here’s what you should do to participate in the webinar.

1. Register for the Webinar here. You have to register or else you won’t get the attendee link to be able to listen in. All you need to register is your name and email address.

2. Pose a question. Here in the comment section under this blog post, ask your burning question. We are taking questions until 2 PM EST on Wednesday. Obviously, there won’t be time to get to everyone’s question in an hour, but we are going to do our best to answer as many as we can. It is very important that you post your webinar question here on the blog and not in the Facebook group.

3. Log in at 9 PM EST (6 PM PST) on Wednesday, July 23. Remember, you will get registration confirmation email from Webinars On Air with a link that you can click to view the webinar.

We hope we’ll see you all there!

But what if you can’t attend? No worries! The webinar will be recorded and you’ll be able to review the video later.

One More Thing….

We are new to Webinars on Air, and while we’ve done some tests, we’re asking that you bear with us as we navigate through the technological jungle. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

66 comments on “Our First Summer School Webinar!

1. What is absolutely essensial to a good character-driven Picture Book? (I don’t need a check list, but I’m looking some solid guidelines and maybe examples.) Thanks in advance!

• I am a newbie to writing Picture Books and have a similar question. I’ve read that you shouldn’t use up your word count describing something that could be shown in pictures. So how do you go about using sensory imagery in a PB then? Do you think someone who loves using descriptive, sensory language be better off writing poetry or longer fiction? Thank you!

2. Juliana Lee says:

What is the definitive difference between character-driven and plot-driven stories?

Liked by 3 people

3. bucherwurm65 says:

Thank you very much for planning to record the webinar. I look forward to reviewing it later. I live in Germany and will not be able to attend due to the time difference. Have a great webinar!

4. SaDonna says:

What does your summer writing schedule look like when you have kids at home? When do you find the time to write, and how are you able to create stories when the environment isn’t always conducive to writing. 🙂 I would love to hear what a day in the life of your summer schedule looks like. How do you get in the zone? Thanks!

5. What does it mean when a story is slight?

6. How can I show the heart of my character’s feelings such as joy and frustration?

7. larnette snow says:

Will it be recorded and archived so we can watch it if we are not able to make Wednesday at 9 p.m.?

8. […] And don’t forget the Webinar tomorrow night at 9:00 pm EST. You can find details HERE.  […]

9. Is there a definitive way to know if a manuscript is better submitted as a picture book or a magazine story? Sometimes it seems the lines between the two are a little fuzzy…

Liked by 2 people

10. How do you make a character that is flawed and does bad things sympathetic and likable?

Liked by 3 people

11. Gail Kamer says:

How can I show interiority without increasing the word count drastically?

12. Valerie Larson-Howard says:

During Sudipta’s appearance on the Let’s Get Busy podcast, she said she had planned on having picture books published when her children were still young enough to enjoy them. Then, she realized that it takes longer than she originally thought. I am curious about how the time frame between when she decided to write picture books and when her first picture book was published.

13. Valerie Larson-Howard says:

I have another question. If we cannot attend the webinar, but want to watch it later, do we still need to register?

14. Sandee Abern says:

Can you explain “the heart of the story”….meaning….are we talking the storyline, the underlying message or the emotional aspect? Or something else? Thanks in advance.

15. Good luck navigating the webinar. I’ll keep my fingers crossed. I plan to watch the replay.

My question: I absolutely know I write plot driven stories. I can’t help it!! How dramatic a revision is it to get from where I am to the coveted world of character-driven stories?

16. I read all the superb questions and I can’t wait to hear the answers. See you on Wednesday.

17. Sooo…I’ve had this character and story concept floating around in my head for months. I’ve written down notes and asked my nieces and nephews for any ideas they might have about the story ( kids are great to ask for story advice). Now I’m ready to write. There’s just one thing. I found out some else had almost the exact concept as mine and has already published a book. I’m crushed! I thought my idea was very original. Do I abandon ship? Do I continue with my story? I really want to get this story out. Help!

18. kateywrites says:

My burning question(s): My kids absolutely adore the shorter, illustrated chapter books like Mercy Watson and Judy Moody Friends. I feel some of my story ideas would suit this format well. Is this a growing market? Is there a particular name for this format? Any tips on illus notes? On word count? On editors/agents taking these submissions?

19. shellysteig says:

I’ve got a birthday party tomorrow night, but am going to listen in later. I’d like to know, when an agent says they aren’t connecting with a character, what does that REALLY mean?

20. Larissa says:

I’m so glad the webinar will be recorded! I will be there, but it’s also SYTYCD night, so I don’t want to miss all the dancing! 😉

Here’s my question: What is the longest and the shortest time you’ve given a ms before putting it in a drawer? (Did you give every ms the same chance, or have you ever realized a ms wasn’t right fairly early on?) Hopefully that makes sense. LOL

21. donnamcdine says:

What are the pitfalls from being a published picture book author with a small press to transitioning/attempting to middle grade with possibly a larger publisher?

22. Ooooh, these are some great questions! My burning question: What to do when you get professional critiques on the same manuscript that are completely opposite? (Ie. Fell in love with this great character! vs. This character is flat.)

Liked by 3 people

23. How do you write? Story first and the characters emerge or character first and story emerges? I’m curious if they turn out differently or if just how some prefer to start.

24. How do you know when it is time to purchase a professional critique or editorial review vs. stuff the ms. in the drawer and re-visit it in a few months?

Liked by 2 people

25. Do you feel all types of voice can be effective in Picture Books?

26. I’ve had all types of writers to tell me my strength in writing is characterization in picture books. But in my MG they say I need to work on (you guessed it) CHARACTERIZATION. I guess I want to know about the layers that it takes to write MG people. HELP! Er…thank you. 🙂

27. I am loving the pdf worksheets. Thank you so much for these.
    How do you bring in subplots into your c/mg/ya books and tie them up in the end? Do you have a worksheet for this or a spreadsheet you work from?

28. Word count is going, down, down, down in picture books. What tricks do you have to cut word count, but keep your characters having sustenance?

Liked by 2 people

29. Share with us your author history . . . How long had you been writing until you became published? How long did it take to get an agent/editor? Can you tell us about the process of finding and signing with an agent? What words of wisdom do you have for *writers under construction?* A quote by Mem Fox has me thinking and wondering. She states, “Unless you’re an art school trained illustrator don’t even think about doing the pictures yourself.” Since I like to sketch, draw and paint AND I like to write and then create some more, any words of wisdom? Thank you. ~Suzy Leopold

30. Question: Should starting writers focus on agent or editor submissions?

Liked by 3 people

31. Darn, missed the deadline. Mine would have been a question about current trends in picture books and whether you think PB’s will trend back to longer than 500 words anytime in the next decade. I’m also curious about what’s hot for middle grade. I’ll miss the first webinar tonight, but I look forward to listening in / viewing whenever it’s ready for post-study and I’m really enjoying the prompts so far.

32. Samantha says:

If you started a story with a plot-driven idea, what are the deciding factors to form a well fleshed-out character arc?

33. My hands are together in anticipation of the first NGSS Web wowzaness.

Butterscotch or chocolate?

Boat fishing or pier fishing?

Old movies or new ones?

Up early or up late?

xx everyone

34. Christy Mihaly says:

Do you have thoughts about how to make a made-up character in historical fiction understandable to today’s kids, but believable in the context of 2 centuries ago?

35. ssuehler says:

I have three manuscripts I am currently working on. Two are older chapter books and the MC’s are of the human variety.But in both stories dogs play important rules. (Communicating through looks, etc.) The third story is a PB, the MC, being a sea star (aka Starfish) What is the best way to try to make animals ‘speak’ and how can I describe a sea-star as almost being like a little boy?

36. nancyri says:

When I click on the link for the webinar I get a warning from my virus software telling me that it’s not a safe site. Is there another link or way to join the webinar? Thanks, Nancy

Quoting Nerdy Chicks Write :

sudiptabq posted: ” Exciting News! On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:00 PM EST, we will be hosting our first Summer School Webinar!What is a webinar? If you’ve never tuned into one, it’s basically a web-broadcast seminar. Each of the webinars we host during Summer S”

37. Limited word count in picture books and the short length makes character development difficult. I’d love to see you share one or two picture books, pointing out the lines that help readers get to know/understand/relate to the MC.

38. For the PB experts: How often do you receive a “revise & resubmit” vs. feedback and a “no-thanks” from an editor? I’m assuming the editor needs to love your PB concept to want to work with you further. Did you nail it on each of your PB sales w/ no edits needed or were some of your sales R&Rs? Thanks!

39. Lauraleighjohnson says:

Do any of you keep a writing notebook for random observations about people you see? What kind if things do you write in it?

40. Sue Frye says:

Is there a set of questions to ask a character that could reveal the distinct hook of a story?
    Thanks so much!
    Looking forward to tomorrow’s webinar!!!

41. Keila Dawson says:

Some problems given to characters are easy to identify, in Sophie’s Squash the little girl wanted to keep a squash as a pet so we can see how that’s going to end up. As writers we are told the mc must have a problem, and some type of emotional growth when solving their problem. The external problems are easier to identify. Do you have any tips for helping us identify the internal problem an mc may have that is more subtle?

42. Amy Benoit says:

Loving the homework — which is making me realize why I loved my character from the start. Adding a simple sentence or word to describe “her” further is helping me to discover another layer of our friendship! 🙂

43. Andrea Brame says:

When writing characters that come from backgrounds or cultures different from your own, what are some guidelines to take into consideration to help you portray that background or culture faithfully, with an authentic voice?

Liked by 2 people

44. Anjali says:

SO many excellent questions. I just hope I’m awake and alert at 6 o’clock.

45. Carrie Brown says:

How can I ensure that I am not just using padding around my plot points?

46. Could you please define Literary Fiction for me? I’ve never been able to find a good definition. Thanks.

47. Beth Gallagher says:

Very cool. Can’t wait for it!

48. judy kay slowey-sly says:

Can a villain be a place or thing?

49. Is it necessary for children’s author have an agent? Do they charge anything?

50. Jessica Miller-Nims says:

what do you think is a good word count for chapters, and total word count for a chapter book?
    Also, is there any chance of getting the recording? I justj found out my aunt is in a coma, and am running out the door to go see her. Just wanted to let you know I won’t be there.