Week 2 Schedule, Updates, and Things You Need to Know

badge50Hello, Summer Schoolers! Week 1 has drawn to a close, and we are about to embark upon Week 2 of Kidlit Summer School 2014. Are you excited? Are you  inspired? We certainly hope so.

Just like last week, we want to start you off on good footing and give you a preview of what is to come, not just in terms of guest bloggers, but other great Summer School Events like out #30mdares and upcoming Webinars. Let’s get started!

The Facebook Group

A quick reminder: some of you are still trying to get into the Facebook group (and why wouldn’t you? We’re having so much fun there!). If you have registered for Kidlit Summer School, have asked to be added to the FB group, and did not get added within a few hours, it may be because your FB name did not match up with your registration name. Please send us an email at nerdychickswrite(at)gmail(dot)com with the subject line FB group and include the email address you used to register for Summer School. We’ll get it sorted out!

Class Schedule for Week 2

week 2 sched

Webinars

Our next Webinars will be on August 4, August 11, and August 13. They will all start at 9PM EST. As before, if you cannot attend the Webinars live, there will be recordings made available to registered students of Summer School. Yet another reason to make sure your registration is current!

The August 11 webinar is the extra webinar we promised for pre-registered students, and we have a special treat for you — Agent Susan Hawk of The Bent Agency will be our special guest and she will be giving feedback on the participants pitches. If you are not pre-registered, don’t worry! The August 13 webinar is for everyone and our special guest will be editor Amy Cloud of Aladdin/Simon and Schuster. Amy will be giving feedback on first pages. We are so excited about our special guests and we hope you are too!

Late Registration is Now Open
Even though pre-registration and regular registration have both closed, you can still take part in Kidlit Summer School. Late registration is now open, so you can still sign up and get access to our password-protected writing exercises, to our Summer School webinars and recordings, and to the Facebook group, and you are still eligible to win any of the comment-related book giveaways on the daily blog posts. If you still need to register, please click HERE.

#30mdare – clarifications and review

With our first #30mdare behind us, we’ve learned enough to make some revisions to the “rules.” We want the dares to challenge you and your characters. Ideally, you’ll work with all of the prompts. While it’s fun to do the dares at the posted times and share the energy and discussion with your classmates, the intent is to push your characters into new territory and surprise yourself. We don’t want issues with time zones (there is at least one student in Australia!) or work schedules to make anyone feel left out, and especially to not try the dares. Therefore, you are encouraged to do the dares whenever you can. We’ll use an honor system for the contest to win one of five three-page critiques by Rebecca Petruck. At the end of school, you’ll give us your names if you were able to do at least 5 of the prompts.
We hope you’ll reach out to each other to do the dares together, too. Anyone can post with the Twitter hashtag or on FB to see if a few others are around. Part of the fun–and the prod–is knowing someone else is out there expecting you to keep at it for 30 minutes. (But you can do it on your own, too.) Just a reminder, here is how it works:
-Put out a call that you’d like to start a #30mdare at a designated time and ask if anyone else is in
-Remind each other of the prompt (or make one up yourself!)
-At the designated time, the moderator shouts GO! (and posts on social media, too 🙂
-Off screen, you each write for 30 minutes, no stopping. Sketch or write a scene in which your MC (or other character) does as prompted
-At the 30-minute mark, the moderator posts STOP
-It’s fun to share how it went for you, if anything surprising or awesome or scary came up for your character
The scheduled KidLit Summer School dares are Thursdays at 9p and Sundays at 3p ET. We hope all of you will be able to make as many as you can. For those who can’t, we are glad for you to do them on your own or with fellow classmates. Let the dares push your characters out of their comfort zones–and make you be far less nice to them. Be evil geniuses, students! We dare you!

41 comments on “Week 2 Schedule, Updates, and Things You Need to Know

1. Kami and Sudipta,
    What a workshop! Simply amazing! Thank you.

2. Doris Stone says:

Week one was excellent and i Can’t wait for week two!

3. Trying to print my own workbook with all the lessons and worksheets.

4. goaudreyrich says:

You girls rock and, of course, rule! I’m sure I’m not the only one that appreciates all the time and effort it takes to put this together.

One day I hope to join you guys in giving back!

Liked by 2 people

5. great workshops! and assignments too!

6. jodimckay says:

Didn’t know summer school could be so much fun. Bring on week two!

7. Wow! What a week! Nerdy Chicks Rule Big Time! Love you, Kami, Sudipta, and the entire faculty! And a pitch fest with Susan Hawk! Holy cow! Look at me! I’m full of exclamation points!

8. Andrea Brame says:

Wow. I was hoping to catch a few tidbits of wisdom when I pre-registered after hearing about summer school on Twitter, but you have already exceeded my expectations.

9. nerdy chicks write DEFINE the term “organized.”
    thank you for all these spiffy plans.

10. Valerie Larson-Howard says:

Who knew summer school could be so fun!

11. Yes! Bring it on!! Rolling up my sleeves, butt in chair, and working.

12. Week two – twice as nice!
    Thank you!

13. arin Wensley says:

I am learning alot cannot wait for this week.

14. kateywrites says:

May I just applaud your organization and energy? (One woman standing ovation happening here.) I’m looking forward to a fun week.

15. Debbie says:

I just sent this info to a friend whom I think I forgot to mention summer school to. I’m glad she can still register should she decide to do so. I am not on Twitter, so I did not participate in the dare.

16. I’m starting to feel like a nerd myself for loving this summer school!!!:)

17. cherylsec says:

Thanks so much! Looking forward to another great week. 🙂

18. Pia Garneau says:

Thank you for all the wonderful resources you’ve provided. I am enjoying every bit of summer school. Lucky to be a part of it.

19. You ladies are great! Thanks so much for putting together such a great series/school!

20. Michelle Leonard says:

So much learning going on in my head. My brain might explode. Thanks for a great first week!

21. Thank you for this wonderful summer class, Kami and Sudipta!

22. gloriaglenn says:

It’s a fast pace, but I’m printing out all the worksheets so I can go at my own speed.

23. bucherwurm65 says:

Thank you so much for all of your time, effort, expertise and encouragement!

24. doreend says:

Best summer school ever! One I can take on vacation with me, too!
    What a wonderful week of ideas and tips!
    Thank you, Thank you to all of you!!

25. Kara Stewart says:

The ‘week at a glance’ really helps. Thank you! I have been learning a lot. The webinar with Kami and Sudipta was especially great!

26. Week one was great, and I’m looking forward to week two! I didn’t have time for the worksheets last week, but this week I’ll have some chunks of time for getting caught up. This truly is the best summer school ever!

27. Sue Frye says:

Loved week one, but I’m totally excited to begin week two! Looking forward to the upcoming, super-fantastic webinars! Thanks!!!

28. Leanne Ross says:

Looking for to week 2!

29. katiegast says:

I think I aced the test, but as I did the grading??? Looking forward to next week. Thanks,

30. Charlotte says:

Excited and inspired 🙂 This is just what I needed-thank you!

31. hmmmmm says:

Am trolling around to better get a handle on the #30mdare set-up (I’ve missed both)…. feeling like a luddite as I flounder here…

32. Thank you, ladies, so much for all the effort that went into the past week. Looking forward to the week ahead. 🙂

33. Summer school even at the beach is cool!

34. Beth Gallagher says:

So excited for week 2! Thanks for this wonderful summer school! 🙂

35. JEN Garrett says:

Anyone else felt like the outcast nerd in high school, but is loving this class of like-minded peeps?

36. Kami and Supdita AKA Nerdy Chicks: You two are the best! Summer School with you is the best. I am up to the dare!

37. donnamcdine says:

Terrific workshops and handouts…thanks a bunch! Looking forward to each day 🙂

38. Rita says:

Ahhhh…. to be more daring! Putting on the time pressure adds the fire needed to make the fingers fly on the keyboard trying to keep up with the brain storms.

39. Superb information and posts! 🙂